Arnold Sports Festival Africa 2020 Cancelled.
Another major sports event related to bodybuilding and fitness has been cancelled for 2020.
The Arnold Sports Festival Africa was originally scheduled to take place last March 2020.
Due to the coronavirus threat, the event was postponed with the hope that it could be rescheduled later in the year.
The Arnold Sports Festival Africa event promoters released an official press release earlier this week about the event.
Official Press Release
We all find ourselves in quite a different and unique situation this year. Everybody is experiencing the Covid -19 in a unique way.
In March we had to postpone the Arnold Sport Festival Africa indefinitely with an expected new date for later in 2020. Our decision to delay a decision till end of May was because we optimistically were hoping this pandemic will pass sooner than expected. But with the spreading of the virus, and the peak in SA only expected August, we are sad and disappointed to announce the cancellation of the Arnold Classic Africa 2020.
It was not an easy decision to make, but believe it is the right thing to do.
Factors we have taken in consideration:
• Safety of athletes, officials, exhibitors, and visitors.
• Gyms and Clubs will only open in Level 1 which means no sports, clubs or individuals can train and prepare for any competition.
• Will public and families be in the position financially to attend and support the event and exhibitors?
• New Sponsors and Exhibitors are not considering and responding now to proposals as the future on when major events in SA will be allowed are not clear and those interested delay contract commitment, which is understandable. This making it impossible to plan and finalize an effective and profitable expo for everybody.
• Companies and Sporting codes are unsure of their financial position the rest of the year and will they be able to be part of the event.
• Will international travel be allowed? as the ACA attracts many international athletes and exhibitors as well as will flights be affordable.
• We had no success to confirm a new date with a venue because of no clarity on when the venue can allow major events.
We thank the Sponsors, Exhibitors, Sports and Events, Athletes, Officials and Supporters for your support the past 4 years and for understanding the difficult decision we had to make cancelling one of the major sport events in Gauteng, because of the virus.
The Arnold Sport Festival and Fitness Expo also has a huge annual economic impact on our country because of the international footprint it brings, and this year would have been no different.
We can assure you the event will be back and know you will enjoy a bigger and better Multisport and Expo event in Africa next year May.
Wayne and Michelle Price