FEATURED ARTICLE: Depression and Bodybuilding.
Most of us know how positive and effective body-building, and exercise in general, can be for depression.
However, it’s not very often that you hear about the other side of the story – what does depression do to a bodybuilder’s gains?
To answer this question, we’ll dive into the topic of depression and hormones. We’ll look at how a negative mindset can make it hard for you to gain muscle, or even lean out.
Current research shows that depressed people tend to have increased levels of the stress hormone cortisol. When cortisol stays high, your testosterone sinks down – making it hard to put on muscle and burn unwanted fat. (2)
Worse still, feeling ‘blue’ also links to lower serotonin levels. Apart from being important for mental well-being, serotonin is a brain hormone that’s shown to play a role in muscle growth, sleep, and recovery. (1)
So, what can you do to improve your mental state, and your gains in the process?
Let’s go ahead and find out.
How Depression Can Kill Your Gains
There are many ways in which depression can hinder your muscle growth, fat loss, and other aspects of your bodybuilding journey:
- Reduced testosterone – The negative relationship between depression and testosterone goes both ways. Low testosterone can cause depression, but depression can also make your testosterone go low. A meta-analysis study found that raising T levels could tackle depression in men. (4)
- Makes it harder to burn fat – When cortisol stays high, your body tries to hold on onto fat. This makes it very hard to lose weight, even when you train hard.
- Store fat more easily – Not only is it hard to lose weight when you’re always feeling down, but your body also puts on fat more easily.
- Increased appetite – To fill in ‘the void’ from dieting, bodybuilders can often have irresistible snack cravings. Leading to further fat gain.
- Decreased motivation to train and eat healthily – When you’re depressed or even anxious, it can be very hard to stick to your bodybuilding goals.
As you can see, depression and bodybuilding don’t really go hand in hand. Even if you aren’t suffering from this mental condition, but just feeling down and stressed, your muscle gains can still suffer big time.
So, what’s the solution?
How to Naturally Alleviate Depression & Improve Your Bodybuilding Progress
The first and the most important step to overcoming depression is talking to a qualified medical professional. Please remember that we’re not doctors and this isn’t medical advice. You should always do your research and talk to your physician before seeking advice anywhere else.
With that said, there’s plenty of science behind natural ways of alleviating depression and improving your gains. These include:
- Yoga – less intense than what most bodybuilders are used to, but it’s shown to be very effective at fighting the blues and promoting muscle recovery. (6, 7)
- Spend more time in nature – This is shown to have a powerful effect on the body’s hormones, creating an environment for optimal muscle growth, low inflammation, and a healthy mood. (8)
- Supplements – The best supplements can improve not just your physical performance but also your mental state.
If you’re looking to naturally boost your physical gains and your mental state, then there’s no better supplement than Centrapeak – the current top men’s ‘body and mind’ formula.
Centrapeak – The Men’s Health Formula to Combat Depression & Promote Lean Muscle Growth
Centrapeak is the leading vitality booster for men. When we first stumbled upon it, we learned that it enhances not just your testosterone, but also cognitive well-being and mental strength.
Centrapeak includes ingredients that have shown, through clinical studies, to be effective at boosting mood, lowering anxiety, and improving physical condition.
Here’s how Centrapeak works:
- Optimizes brain chemicals such as dopamine and serotonin to enhance your mental state.
- Reduces stress hormones such as cortisol which are known to waste muscle tissue and lower testosterone.
- Increases testosterone production in a safe and natural way. By stimulating Leydig cells in your testes, it leads to an improved physical and mental condition.
- Hinders the synthesis and effectiveness of estrogen, the female sex hormone that can cause depression, low T, and other issues in men when it’s too elevated. (4)
- Reduces inflammation to promote both physical recovery and mood. (5)
Some testosterone boosters are good at improving your physical characteristics, but none are formulated to make you feel better mentally.
It is true you’ll naturally feel better with higher T levels. But Centrapeak includes testosterone-boosting ingredients that are also shown to be effective brain health enhancers.
So you’ll feel better mentally from higher testosterone – and then get further cognitive benefits from the specialized ‘nootropic’ ingredients in Centrapeak.
Key Facts About this Male Health Enhancer
- Natural – Consists of clinically tested herbs and nutrients that stimulate your body to naturally produce more testosterone and build more muscle, faster.
- Includes Nootropic Ingredients – Nootropics are natural brain enhancers that improve various aspects of mental performance; Centrapeak includes some of the best nootropics for depression on the market (more on that below).
- Specializes at Fighting the Blues – Centrapeak includes natural botanicals such as Rhodiola Rosea that further enhance cognitive function and reduce the effects of depression on your gains.
- State of the Art Formula – Produced in cGMP certified facility and third-party tested, it’s non-GMO, gluten-free, soy-free, and vegetarian-friendly.
Why Centrapeak is Effective For Mood and Mental Well-Being
When you’re in a positive headspace, your actions will follow.
Rather than sit and watch TV after work, you’ll be more inclined to hit the gym and work on your goals. You’ll be mentally stronger, and less susceptible to temptations of comfort eating and junk food.
This leads to an amazing cycle. You’ll start feeling better, getting fitter, and being a stronger person mentally and physically.
- Improved Motivation – Stick to your bodybuilding goals and see them through.
- Reduced Stress – Have more mental energy and clarity to stay on top of your diet.
- Enhanced mood – Feel better overall.
- More testosterone – Reduce estrogen, maximize the anabolic hormones.
- Increased Focus – Feel sharp and on point in the gym.
With Centrapeak, these things aren’t a fantasy; they’re science-backed benefits that can help you reach your limits as a bodybuilder, and then push past them.
Want to see how Centrapeak works for other men? See our full review here.
Centrapeak’s Ingredients For Depression
Centrapeak is manufactured in ‘state of the art’ facilities in the USA and the UK. The formula is fully disclosed, it doesn’t have any proprietary blends.
Critical to the potency of Centrapeak are the clinical doses and premium forms of the ingredients.
Mucuna Pruriens: Activates Dopamine & Raises Testosterone
Also called Velvet Bean, Mucuna is one of the ingredients that make Centrapeak, Centrapeak.
Here’s what we mean…
Mucuna Pruriens is shown to be very effective at raising your dopamine brain levels. As dopamine is your brain’s motivation and pleasure chemicals, you’ll naturally feel better when it’s elevated. (10)
- In studies, Mucuna showed to boost the body’s resilience to stress hormones. One research in particular showed that 3 months of Mucuna supplementation reduced stress and increased male fertility. (9)
On top of that, Mucuna will also raise your testosterone levels. (10) Coupled with the boost in dopamine, this is a win-win combo for building muscle and burning fat.
Ashwagandha: Promotes Hormonal Balance
This is a great choice in Centrapeak. They’re aware that it’s not only about boosting testosterone & muscle gains – but also creating an environment in your body to make these benefits permanent.
And Ashwagandha is ideal for this. It’s a natural herb that specializes in reducing the negative effects of depression. When you’re under stress, or when you feel down, your body releases cortisol which is a stress hormone. Cortisol is usually only released in emergencies, if you’re always under stress, it takes its toll.
Chronically elevated cortisol could further push you down mentally, not to mention that the stress hormone is also muscle-wasting.
Ashwagandha is shown in studies to have a multitude of benefits for bodybuilders. The two most important ones are:
- Brings cortisol levels down by as much as 30%. (11)
- Directly boosts muscle growth and testosterone production. (12)
Rhodiola Rosea: Natural Anti-Depressant, Boosts Focus & Energy
This is a Scandinavian herb that fights fatigue, boosts focus, and relieves symptoms of depression. It’s been used in Russia for many years to help workers be more productive.
- So powerful is Rhodiola that one study showed it had better “benefit-to-risk ratio” than the antidepressant drug Sertraline (Zoloft) for mild to moderate depression. (13)
Rhodiola also belongs among the best supplements for rumination, and helps to strengthen you physically as much as it does mentally.
Not sure if Centrapeak is right for you? Read our complete Centrapeak Review where we share how it has worked for us and other bodybuilders around the world.
How Safe and Effective is Centrapeak?
As far as we can tell, Centrapeak’s formula is perfectly safe and doesn’t come with any side effects. We’re basing these on three things:
- Our experience using it
- Countless other reviews on the internet
- Ingredients that are heavily backed by science
All in all, it’s one of the most reliable supplements for bodybuilders on the market right now.
In our opinion, if you’re feeling a bit down and ‘out of sync’, Centrapeak is a safe and effective option to help you with motivation and your bodybuilding goals.
It uses natural occurring ingredients to optimize your hormones in such a way that enables you to have energy, be able to focus, and feel generally better about life.
To recap, here’s why Centrapeak stuck out to us so much:
- Clinically backed – Every ingredient in this product has the research to support the claims.
- Great servings – 3 per day, ensures you get a constant trickle of beneficial ingredients to your system.
- Clean formula – Excellent quality, 3rd party tested, and its facilities are approved by cGMP and FDA.
- Brings results – You’ll feel better and more motivated to hit the gym and take your gains to the next level.
Put simply, we were impressed. Great ingredient profile, excellent servings, and a very focused supplement that if you view yourself a candidate for, will be very happy with.
- Effects of serotonin on skeletal muscle growth. (source)
- Verywellmind. (source)
- Scientists Find Compelling Evidence Depression in Men Could Be Treated With Testosterone. (source)
- Increased estrogen levels can be associated with depression in males. (source)
- Depression: the radical theory linking it to inflammation. (source)
- Yoga for depression: the research evidence. (source)
- The effects of yoga training and a single bout of yoga on delayed onset muscle soreness in the lower extremity. (source)
- Shinrin-Yoku (Forest Bathing) and Nature Therapy: A State-of-the-Art Review. (source)
- Mucuna pruriens Reduces Stress and Improves the Quality of Semen in Infertile Men. (source)
- Mucuna pruriens improves male fertility by its action on the hypothalamus-pituitary-gonadal axis. (source)
- A prospective, randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and efficacy of a high-concentration full-spectrum extract of ashwagandha root in reducing stress and anxiety in adults. (source)
- A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Crossover Study Examining the Hormonal and Vitality Effects of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) in Aging, Overweight Males. (source)
- Rhodiola rosea versus sertraline for major depressive disorder: A randomized placebo-controlled trial. (source)
- Reduction of depression and anxiety by 4 weeks Hericium erinaceus intake. (source)