Add muscle to your brainpower and get more out of your training with the best nootropics for bodybuilders.
Bodybuilding success starts in the mind. As Arnold Schwarzenegger once said:
“The body is very important, but the mind is more important than the body.”
We all know those days where we don’t feel like training. Other days we might go train, but our workouts straight up suck.
When you’re in this kind of state, you can’t achieve optimal physical performance. The body might want to but the mind doesn’t. If you want to see good results you’ll need to push yourself mentally through the hardest of workouts.
Luckily, nootropics for bodybuilding can help. These natural brain supplements are designed to power up your brain and supercharge your body – helping to take your gains to the next level.
Mental Challenges for Bodybuilders
“Mind over matter” applies to bodybuilding as much as anything else. Our minds can help us achieve our goals despite all odds.
- No matter whether you’re a beginner or veteran bodybuilder – you need to keep pushing yourself mentally in order to achieve progress. If your body is in good shape but your mind isn’t, your efforts will be in vain.
For example, imagine you need to push a few more reps but mentally you don’t feel like you can. Deep down you know that your body can go on. But the mind is starting to give out.
If this keeps happening over and over in your workouts, then you can guess how your progress is going to look a year from now. Probably not as good as it could be …
The good news is, this is just one of many mental blocks that nootropics can help you break through. Other mental challenges for bodybuilders include:
Bodybuilding is a hard sport. It’s arguably one of the toughest – just look at the old-school training videos of Golden Era legends like The Austrian Oak or Dorian Yates.
You’ll need to give your all every time you enter the gym. Bodybuilding is not a sport for the half-hearted.
This is where training intensity comes in. Whether you have a coach or not, you’ll have to keep pushing yourself more and more in order to achieve your fitness goals. This is not easy. You’ll need to maintain a high level of intensity and motivation to succeed.
Nootropics for bodybuilders can help you in two ways here:
- They boost energy levels. Certain nootropics enhance your mental energy while also warding off fatigue and ‘burnout’. As a result, you’re able to maintain high workout intensity for better long-term results.
- They support motivation. Some nootropics regulate the activity of your dopamine, norepinephrine, and other energizing brain chemicals. This helps you stay motivated – both for your training and other day-to-day activities. 
Focus helps you set distractions aside so you can concentrate on your goals – in and out of the gym.
Some experts suggest that the true measurement of focus isn’t in our ability to concentrate on a single thing. Rather, it’s more in our ability to cancel out ‘the noise’ around us so we can be fully immersed in our training.
Bodybuilders need to focus on their mind-muscle connection to get the most out of every rep. Sticking to your exercise routine consistently is a recipe for achieving your goals – whether that’s losing fat, building muscle, or both.
It’s common amongst bodybuilders to resort to popular stimulants (such as those with caffeine) and pre-workouts so they can train harder for longer. While these supplements do work, they have a few disadvantages when used excessively:
- Jitters, Anxiety, Insomnia, Nervousness, Energy crashes, Lethargy
The best nootropics for bodybuilders optimize focus and mental energy on a cellular level. They don’t give you a short-lived fix only to leave you irritable and foggy later on. Instead, they optimize:
- Mitochondria – These are powerhouses of our cells that produce ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) – our energy currency. Nootropics like Ashwagandha are shown to aid the health and efficiency of our mitochondria. 
- Neurotransmitters – Including dopamine and noradrenaline which are responsible for keeping you alert and mentally sharp.
- HPA axis – This is also called the Hypothalamic Pituitary Adrenal axis. It regulates your stress response. Too much stress is draining, both mentally and physically. Certain nootropics help control the stress response so that you’re able to maintain high levels of focus.
By modulating our cellular response to stress, nootropics have the ability to boost our concentration & energy levels. Not in an aggressive manner like stimulants, but by influencing the pathways that trigger mental fatigue and brain fog.
Bodybuilders experience stress too. They experience a lot of it. Hard workouts can take a toll on the body and mind.
The two most common forms of stress that bodybuilders experience include:
- Oxidative stress – This is a process where unstable and unhealthy cells, called free radicals, start doing damage to your body. Chronic oxidative stress can lead to serious health issues over time. (3)
- Cortisol-induced stress – Cortisol is the infamous stress hormone which is shown to be catabolic (muscle-wasting), detrimental to our testosterone levels, and training results in general. (4) If you want to look great and stay healthy, keeping cortisol levels in check should be one of your top priorities.
Adaptogenic herbs (such as those found in nootropics for bodybuilding) are ingredients that help balance our hormones – resulting in lower cortisol & oxidative stress, but also higher testosterone levels.
Nootropic Ingredients for Bodybuilders
Rhodiola Rosea: Anti-Fatigue & Focus-Enhancing Herb
Rhodiola Rosea is a herbal adaptogen that has gained the reputation of a mental and physical performance booster, with numerous benefits.
Traditionally used by Siberian soldiers and farmers to help them withstand tough living conditions, but it’s usage pre-dates even that. It was used by the Vikings for mental energy and focus, and those guys knew a lot about kicking ass.
Rhodiola is backed by clinical evidence to offer a whole host of benefits for bodybuilders. (8)
- Increased endurance
- Reduced fatigue in stressful situations (including hard training)
- Improved post-workout recovery
- Reduced brain fog and mental sluggishness
- Improved motivation and sense of well-being
- Improved resistance to stress
The way Rhodiola achieves these benefits is by supporting our serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine activity in our brain.
Rhodiola helps inhibit monoamine oxidase, an enzyme that breaks down these brain chemicals.
With higher levels of the feel-good neurotransmitters, your cortisol levels will go down. This creates an environment where your body is primed for building lean, quality muscle.
Phosphyladylserine: Endurance Booster
Phosphatidylserine (aka, PS) is a fat that is most concentrated in your brain cells. This nutrient is found in foods like chicken, egg yolks, and beef liver, and is known for improving our performance under stress. (4)
Besides supporting brain cell repair, neurotransmitter levels, and cell signaling, Phosphatidylserine is particularly interesting to athletes because of its physical benefits.
- Regulates stress response
- Supports healthy testosterone levels by reducing cortisol
- Improves exercise capacity
- Boosts mental agility
- Aids in the removal of toxic brain cells and prevents them from damaging our healthy cells
- Improves mood, focus and thinking
While Phosphatidylserine is most famous for its nootropic benefits – it even has an FDA-approved health claim – it’s also being touted by some as ‘the magic bullet’ for performance.
PS blocks our stress hormone cortisol from doing damage, which in turn helps other hormones like testosterone to thrive. Many athletes and fitness enthusiasts take Phosphatidylserine on a regular basis to boost their exercise performance and stress resistance for this very reason.
Vitamin B6: Brain Energy Enhancer
B6 is your brain and body’s building block. In addition to supporting your energy metabolism and cardiovascular function, vitamin B6 also has the most nootropic benefits of all the B vitamins.
- Stimulates our Leydig cells to make more testosterone
- Reduces estrogen levels
- Boosts energy
- Improves mental clarity
- Reduces stress
- Promotes feelings of happiness and pleasure
Vitamin B6 is vital for the production of brain chemicals such as serotonin and noradrenaline. (7) This nutrient helps increase your attention. If you have trouble staying focused while in the gym, vitamin B6 can help you stay locked in on your training.
Ashwagandha is a nutritional wonder. Not only is it full of beneficial alkaloids, steroidal lactones, and fatty acids, its’ also a powerful regulator of stress hormones – and is even shown to have life-extending properties.
- Increases strength
- Enhances muscle growth
- Boosts endurance, vitality and energy levels
- Reduces stress
- Helps combat anxiety and depression
- Calms worrying and obsessive thoughts
Research has shown that when stressed people took a 300mg Ashwagandha root extract, their levels of the main stress hormone cortisol were slashed down by almost 30% – in less than two months. (6)
Another study from the International Society of Sports Nutrition showed that 300mg of ashwagandha daily for 8 weeks led to a significant boost in testosterone, strength, muscle mass and power of 57 male weightlifters. (2)
Centrapeak – Best Supplement for Bodybuilders
Centrapeak supplies some of the best natural nootropics in their clinically effective doses to boost your performance from the top down. Including Ashwagandha, vitamin B6, Phosphatidylserine and Rhodiola Rosea.
It was originally released in 2019 and redefined what a ‘body and mind’ supplement should be. It has since been remastered in 2020 to further enhance it’s nootropic capabilites.
Centrapeak is made to boost your testosterone levels naturally and improve your mental well-being. It contains the top nootropics for bodybuilding in clinically-backed dosages.
When you’re full of energy and motivation, training becomes easier, you reach your goals faster, and life flows.
Key advantages of Centrapeak:
- Backed by studies – The team behind Centrapeak has included only the most researched natural ingredients currently available.
- Effective servings – With 3 servings per day, Centrapeak keeps your body constantly supplied with nutrients needed to keep your energy & testosterone levels high, and stress hormone levels low.
- Cleanest Quality – Vegan friendly, non-GMO, produced in cGMP and FDA approved facilities.
If you want to know why we currently rate Centrapeak as the very best supplement for bodybuilders, head over to their website by clicking on the link below:
- Dopamine and Motivation.
- Examining the effect of Withania somnifera supplementation on muscle strength and recovery: a randomized controlled trial.
- Oxidative stress in health and disease: The therapeutic potential of Nrf2 activation.
- Cortisol and physical exercise.
- Effects of phosphatidylserine supplementation on exercising humans.
- A prospective, randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and efficacy of a high-concentration full-spectrum extract of ashwagandha root in reducing stress and anxiety in adults.
- High-dose pyridoxine as an ‘anti-stress’ strategy.
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study of the standardized extract shr-5 of the roots of Rhodiola rosea in the treatment of subjects with stress-related fatigue.