PRODUCT REVIEW: Nugenix Total T – Testosterone Booster.
Nugenix Total T is one of the most popular testosterone boosters out there.
It claims to help you:
- Increase energy levels
- Boost libido
- Enhance testosterone (both free & total T)
This testosterone booster uses proven ingredients like boron & Longjack. While boron may increase your T levels, Longjack is great for libido.
But there are a couple of downsides, which we’ll discuss below. We’ll also check for side effects and pros and cons to give you a complete picture in this Nugenix Total T review.
Pros and Cons
The inclusion of boron in Nugenix is a big plus. We also saw some basic vitamins and minerals which are important for T production. In terms of other benefits, Nugenix Total T will support your libido and vitality.
However, there’s a proprietary blend in there and zinc is underdosed, which may reduce the strength of this testosterone booster.
- Enhances your libido and sex drive
- Improves energy levels in the gym
- Slight anti-aromatase effects
- Uses boron
- Sacrifices DHT in order to keep testosterone high. As a man, you need both.
- Underdosed zinc; only 1 milligram per serving (you need around 11mg a day)
- Vitamin D & magnesium aren’t included in the formula
- Could use Ashwagandha for additional testosterone support
- Gelatin capsules, so not vegetarian friendly
Who Makes Nugenix Total T?
After doing some digging, we found that Adaptive Health LLC is the company behind Nugenix Total T. They mostly specialize in producing testosterone supplements, but they also offer recovery enhancers and multivitamins.
The company launched Nugenix back in 2012. And it wasn’t long before Nugenix’s popularity took off.
However, a lot has changed since then. Many new testosterone boosters came on the market using new and cutting-edge ingredients to compete for the top spot.
In this Nugenix Total T review, we’ll see if it has been able to keep up with the pack. Or if it’s perhaps fallen behind our current top-rated testosterone booster?
There are a number of surprising benefits that Nugenix Total T claims:
- Increases vitality – this is expected from a testosterone booster, it shouldn’t just enhance your muscles but your energy levels and libido too.
- “Achieve Peak Performance” – the producers claim Nugenix Total T will safely boost both your total and free T levels, which leads to improved gains in the gym and better time in the bedroom.
- “Rediscover Your Confidence” – Since testosterone represents masculinity, it makes sense it would increase your self-confidence and sense of well being.
- Boost low T levels – This is more of a direct benefit, we can’t wait to see what ingredients Total T uses to achieve this goal.
As you already noticed, there are a lot of impressive benefits listed here. Sound too good to be true?
While it does perhaps sound a little over the top, it’s a common thing among testosterone boosters to present their products in the best light possible.
The only way we’ll know how good it really is, is by checking the ingredients below:
Nugenix Total T Ingredients
For the most part, Nugenix Total T formula is good and can enhance your masculine health.
There are a couple of minor downsides, such as having too little zinc and using a proprietary blend.
But overall, it’s good enough to support your vitality.
See for yourself:
Vitamin B6 is an all-rounder. It promotes your general wellness, including mental health, skin quality, and the immune system. B6 also regulates hemoglobin, a molecule which helps carry oxygen through your blood.
As for testosterone, B6 helps stimulate its production by boosting other androgen hormones. At the same time, it reduces your estrogen levels. As we know, estrogen is testosterone’s nemesis. (1)
So it’s clear vitamin B6 is an all-round essential nutrient, it offers many small benefits for the body. What’s more important for you is that it benefits your T levels.
However, here’s the catch… it only works if you’re deficient in it. So if you aren’t eating animal products, such as lean meats and eggs, then you might benefit from supplementing it. However, as Examine.com puts it, unless you’re deficient, “there appear to be no highly effective unique reasons to use this supplement.” (1)
Vitamin B12 is another critical nutrient that our body can’t live without. Many vegans supplement with bilingual vitamin B12, that’s because you’ll have a hard time finding it in plant foods. So if you eat a mostly plant-based diet, vitamin B12 supplements could support your general health. But it’s not overly potent at boosting testosterone. (2)
Zinc is yet another basic and foundational ingredient that supports your male hormone. Your body needs it not only to produce more T but also to prevent the existing testosterone from plummeting. Testosterone can drop when you’re under intense stress, including physical and emotional. But zinc has shown to prevent that.
Case in point: A study with elite athletes who trained very hard showed that zinc kept their testosterone levels high. On the other hand, those that didn’t take zinc during extreme training saw a drop in their T levels. (3)
Now, there’s just one problem here.
The zinc dosage in Nugenix Total T is too low. At just 1mg per serving, it’s not even 10% of your required daily amount. So it’s unlikely to have an effect on your T.
Citrulline is an interesting ingredient. Usually, it’s a part of pre-workout supplements since it boosts your blood flow. But we can see why Nugenix Total T put it in their formula. By enhancing blood flow, you’ll be ensuring optimal absorption and nutrient delivery to your body, which can potentially contribute to healthy hormones including testosterone. It’s also great for erections. (4)
Fenugreek is an alpha-5-reductase blocker, as well as aromatase blocker. While alpha-5-reductase converts your testosterone to DHT, aromatase converts testosterone to estrogen.
Fenugreek essentially slows down both of these processes; allowing for more testosterone to stay in your system. (5)
How good this is we aren’t sure, because you also need DHT for peak masculine health.
DHT is very strong, up to several times more potent than testosterone in some cases. You need it to build muscle and many other things. (6) So while it’s a good thing that Fenugreek sacrifices estrogen to have more testosterone, we can’t say the same for DHT.
Here we have the one and only proprietary blend in Nugenix Total T. Usually, proprietary blends are a big no in a testosterone booster because they hide the doses of ingredients in them. But since this blend only has two ingredients, both of which have little to no impact on your testosterone levels, I think we can look past this one.
- Ancient Peat Extract (trace minerals) – Some minor research shows that it can provide you with the essential nutrients for optimal energy production. It may help you train harder in the gym, which is a good thing. The problem is we don’t know if the dosage is high enough to do so, since it’s a part of a proprietary blend. (7)
- Apple Fruit Extract – Similarly to Ancient Peat Extract, it may help with endurance and strength. But except for one small study, there’s a lack of research to confirm this. (7)
Longjack (Eurycoma Longifolia)
Longjack is a great support ingredient. It enhances your libido and sex drive, along with improving your virility. It may also help with your energy levels in the gym, but it has no positive effects on your testosterone. (8)
There are many good testosterone ingredients in Nugenix Total T. But boron may be the best of all. It’s shown to safely and reliably boost testosterone levels at doses of 10 or more milligrams per day. Nugenix Total T contains precisely 10mg per serving, which is a perfect dose. (9)
As we explained, there’s a lack of zinc in this product. While it’s listed on the label, it’s dosed in trace amounts. This makes its effects on testosterone weak at best.
As for the missing ingredients, there’s no vitamin D, magnesium, or Ashwagandha.
Aside from these few drawbacks though, Nugenix’s formula seems fairly solid.
Nugenix Total T Instructions (Dosage)
You’re to take 3 capsules of Nugenix Total T daily. It doesn’t matter if it’s with or without food, according to the label.
That means this product only has 1 daily serving. Is this good? Yes, it is, but not the best.
How long do you think a T booster will stay in your system if you take it only once per day?
Several hours maybe, depending on how fast your metabolic rate is.
On the other hand, how long do you think 3 or 4 daily servings will stay circulating in your system?
The answer: the whole day and perhaps even night. This ensures your testosterone stays supported constantly. This is precisely why most effective T boosters take advantage of multiple daily servings.
Nugenix Total T Side Effects
You shouldn’t worry about side effects of Nugenix Total T.
The ingredients are safe, most of them are herbs and natural compounds.
Doses too are on the safe side. Some ingredients are even slightly underdosed! But this might be a good thing since it avoids negative side effects.
Nugenix Total T Price
The price of Nugenix Total T on their official website is $69.99. On Amazon, the price ranges between $63-66.
This makes it one of the most expensive testosterone boosters you’ll come across.
Is Nugenix Total T Good Value For Money?
The answer is no. The price of $69.99 per bottle demands the best possible ingredients that have human clinical research backing their benefits. The dosages should be perfect too. Nugenix Total T wasn’t successful in that regard.
Nugenix Total T is one of the most popular testosterone boosters out there, and we can see why.
It uses a combination of proven ingredients, most of which come in good doses. For the most part, the formula is excellent. And people love it. It gives them energy and increases their libido.
However, while it’s a decent product, we feel it’s not good enough to warrant the price of $69.
- Vitamin B6. (source)
- Vitamin B12. (source)
- The effect of exhaustion exercise on thyroid hormones and testosterone levels of elite athletes receiving oral zinc. (source)
- Citrulline. (source)
- Efficacy of Fenugreek Seed and Lespedeza Cuneata in TDS. (source)
- Dihydrotestosterone. (source)
- Ancient peat and apple extracts supplementation may improve strength and power adaptations in resistance-trained men. (source)
- Eurycoma longifolia Jack enhances libido in sexually experienced male rats. (source)
- Comparative effects of daily and weekly boron supplementation on plasma steroid hormones and proinflammatory cytokines. (source)