The rise of plant based protein supplements.
Over the last couple of years there has been a growing trend to eat healthily as consumers look at what they are putting into their bodies and what is fuelling them throughout the day. Something that has become popular during this time is the rise of flexitarians: people who consume a mainly vegetarian diet, but will occasionally eat animal products. Vegetarianism has also become a popular choice, while veganism has seen a 700% growth over the last year alone.
As consumers move away from animal products to plant based products, so has the focus of nutritional supplement manufacturers, who now offer a range of plant based protein alternatives for those who want to maintain a healthier lifestyle while continuing to train, workout and gain muscle.
After decades of dominance by animal protein sources such as egg whites and whey protein, it is now plant protein sources that are gaining traction, with the majority of nutritional supplement manufacturers now offering plant based alternatives alongside their standard ranges.
Protein is an important nutrient for the body and contributes to the growth and maintenance of the whole body and for muscles in particular. For this reason, taking a protein supplement after working out can help aid recovery and growth, as well as serve as a fuel source for the body. Those who follow a plant based diet or are intolerant to dairy products can benefit from taking a plant based protein supplement as it can be harder to get the amount of protein needed to grow and maintain muscles from eating alone.
Can I build muscle on a vegan diet?
In short yes, you can build bigger muscles on a vegan diet at the same rate as those who are eating animal products, however it does take a bit of planning to get right. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Make sure you are getting sufficient calories for your goal. Whether you are bulking up or cutting, getting enough calories is key to maintaining or growing muscle and to fuel the body.
- Because plants generally have lower calories than animal products, it is always a good idea to consume lots of fruits and vegetables. Not only will this provide your body with a great source of nutrients, it will also provide a range of antioxidants to help keep your immune system strong.
- Legumes such as beans, peas and lentils are a great source of protein. Although not a complete source of protein, combining legumes with grain such as rice or quinoa will help to ensure that you get all the essential amino acids needed.
- Variety is the key; make sure that you have lots of variety throughout your week, including a range of greens, grains and legumes to give you a good mix of nutrients, proteins and fats for your body to use.
- Use nuts as fuel. Nuts are a great source of fat and provide a long lasting form of energy as well. Just one handful will boost your calorie intake and provide fuel for your workouts.
- Consider supplementation. Depending on your goals, you may want to look into supplements to complement your vegan diet. Many nutritional supplement manufacturers now offer plant based proteins, BCAAs and multi-vitamins to help you reach your nutritional targets.
How Scitec Nutrition can help
Scitec Nutrition is one of the leading global brands of sports nutrition supplements with over 20 years of experience helping elite athletes and bodybuilders to reach their goals. Through its ongoing development in the sports nutrition sector, Scitec Nutrition has created a range of plant based supplements ideal for those looking to move away from traditional dairy based products.
Scitec Nutrition’s 100% Plant Protein is specially formulated to promote lean muscle growth while aiding recovery. Made from Pisane Pea Protein Isolate, it is proven to have a high absorption rate as well as being comparable to whey protein in its branched-chain amino acid content.
Scitec Nutrition’s 100% Plant Protein is GMO free, dairy free, lactose free and gluten free, making it an ideal solution for those who are looking for a whey alternative protein source to add to their diet and workout plan.
Another plant based product from Scitec Nutrition is its Vita Greens & Fruits range. We all know about getting your 5 a day, but this can be hard especially for those with busy lifestyles who eat on the go. Vita Greens & Fruits contains a blend of 37 natural ingredients that provide key vitamins and minerals including Vitamin C which aids the nervous system, Vitamin D to maintain skeletal calcium balance, and Zinc to help boost the immune system.
Scitec Nutrition Vita Greens & Fruits is an ideal supplement for those who struggle to get their 5 a day or are looking to add more nutrients and vitamins to their existing diet.
As with any training or diet regime, having a healthy, balanced diet is key to performing well and recovering faster. These supplements are designed to help you reach your goals, but are not intended as a sole source of nutrition.