REVIEW: National Bodybuilding Co. Pre-Workout
Training most days of the week, most weeks of the year, is a tiring endeavor on both your mind and your body. One of the biggest challenges that any athlete faces is motivation, the motivation to turn up time and time again, and work as hard as physically possible. Most of this motivation comes from determination and grit alone, but that does not mean you can’t give yourself a little help.
National Bodybuilding Co. Pre-Workout is the secret weapon in your gym bag. Simply mix a scoop with some water before your workout and feel an insane boost to your performance, pump, and focus.
One scoop can help beginners and pros alike with:
- Increased levels of nitric oxide production and muscle pumps.
- Cellular energy recovery.
- Enhanced cell hydration and muscular buffering.
- Laser-sharp focus without the dreaded caffeine crash you get from other overly stimmed brands.
Every single tub of National Bodybuilding Co. Pre-Workout contains 30 servings, which equates to a whole month of enhanced training and focus. If you are a beginner to pre-workout, you can even start with half a scoop and still feel significant benefits to every aspect of your training.
Sounds too good to be true, right? Well, we have managed to get our hands on a tub, and in the name of science, we have dug deep into the ingredient list to create this review for you guys.
First, let’s investigate the claims.
“The Pump” – Vasodilation and Nitric Oxide Production
“Having a pump is like having sex, I train two, sometimes three times a day. Each time I get a pump, it’s great. I feel like I’m coming all day.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Arnie said it best, we all love ZE PUMP. That feeling where our muscles swell, and we look in the gym mirror and love what we see. But continuously getting that feeling does not come without hard work, even top bodybuilders like Antoine Vaillant are always looking for ways to feel greater levels of PUMP.
One of the claims that National Bodybuilding Co. Pre-Workout makes is that they can boost your pump in the gym. 
And this product does give you a better pump. This is due to the ingredients in the product that help by raising the levels of electrolytes. By balancing the sodium levels in your blood and nourishing your muscles, you get longer and more sizeable pumps. What’s not to love about that? 
Increased Strength, Mass, and Endurance
Now let’s look at the claims that that National Bodybuilding Co makes about size, strength, and endurance. One particular ingredient stands out here to us. Caffeine Anhydrous. This ingredient isn’t some under-researched filler. With over 34 studies finding evidence of a boost to performance and strength, hitting those personal records has never been easier. 
That isn’t the only ingredient that that National Bodybuilding Co uses in their pre-workout that has meticulously researched either. Beta-alanine is a supplement that has been widely used in the bodybuilding and strength world for some time now. It works by buffering the lactic acid buildup in your muscles. This means you can train for longer without having to stop, allowing you to get in those extra reps at the end of the session.
Focus Without the Crash
Now we have tried hundreds of pre-workouts over the years, and one of the biggest problems with many of them has been the huge crash that follows. Most of us workout in the morning before work or in the evening shortly before bed. This can lead to us suffering either sleepless nights or ruin how we perform in our day jobs.
National Bodybuilding Co has sought to fix these problems by keeping the stims in control and by using Dicaffeine Malate, which gives you an edge in terms of energy and focus but does not lead to a major crash shortly after your workout.
That isn’t the only way this pre-workout helps with focus either. With a healthy addition of B vitamins, your body will convert food into energy in a more efficient way too, increasing natural energy levels from the food you eat. 
Get in the Zone
We have already explained how this pre-workout can boost your body’s energy levels through the roof, but what about the edge it gives you mentally?
By using N-Acetyl Cysteine, you reduce your brain inflammation. This is due to its anti-oxidizing properties. This leads to a reduced brain fog and can help you stay focused on the task at hand, whether that is a couple of dumbbells, a few more miles on the treadmill, or a PR on the bench.
L-Tyrosine is also a natural amino acid found in your body that aids your focus. In a number of studies, this has been shown to boost your dopamine levels in your brain, increased dopamine levels, aid with sleep and performance and allow you to train harder than ever.
What you consume before working out is important. Click here to find the best pre-workout snacks. Bit beyond your actual food, what you consume in supplements needs to be clean as well.
National Bodybuilding Co. doesn’t believe in using proprietary blends. Their ingredient list is laid out clearly for all to see. We think this is a much better approach. We have seen a number of pre-workouts on the market recently, where over 50% of the ingredients are hidden in a “proprietary blend.” We don’t like putting unknown substances into our bodies, and we advise you guys to stay away as well.
Here is the exact ingredient list:
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) (5mg)
- Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin (2.4mcg)
- L-Citrulline DL-Malate (1:1) (5g)
- Agmatine Sulfate (1.5g)
- Beta-Alanine (1g)
- N-Acetyl Cysteine (500mg)
- L-Tyrosine (400mg)
- Coconut Water Powder (300mg)
- Citicoline (CDP-Choline) (250mg)
- Caffeine Anhydrous (150mg)
- Vaso6™ Green Tea Extract (150mg)
- Infinergy™ DiCaffeine Malate (100mg)
- Teacrine® (50mg)
All of these ingredients have extensive research behind them, and all of them have studies proving their benefits and safety. This means we can recommend this product to anyone who wants a boost in the gym and wants to do it by using safe and researched ingredients, proven to give you a boost.
Flavors & Mixability
This is a relatively new product, and so far, the guys at Bodybuilding Co. have only brought it out in Fruit Punch flavor. In our opinion, it tastes just how we would like. It isn’t too sour or sweet like some of the other pre-workouts on the market, and it doesn’t have any weird aftertaste.
It also mixed down really well; it didn’t froth up or stay grainy after a quick shake in our shakers.
The ingredients in this Pre-Workout aren’t known to cause major side effects for the majority of people. The dosages are also well within the safe range.
Unless you’re sensitive to caffeine, in which case you’ll get the best results from starting with half a scoop.
Price & Where to Buy?
Currently, there is only one place to buy this product, and it is on the National Bodybuilding Co. website. It costs $48 per tub (30 servings).
Head over to the website; the guys at National Bodybuilding Co. often have great sales and deals on the go. https://nationalbodybuildingco.com/products/stage-ready-pre-workout
If you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading our National Bodybuilding Co. Pre-Workout Review.
We love it when a product comes on the market that does what it says on the tin. The ingredients are well thought out and researched and aren’t hidden behind the normal bullshit of a “Proprietary Blend.”
This is a great pre-workout that will consistently deliver a noticeable boost to your strength, pumps, and endurance in the gym. It tastes great, mixes well, and doesn’t give you a nasty crash.
This is definitely a pre-workout worth checking out, and the National Bodybuilding Co. is definitely a brand to watch in the future.
- Warren GL, Park ND, Maresca RD, McKibans KI, Millard-Stafford ML. Effect of caffeine ingestion on muscular strength and endurance: a meta-analysis. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010;42(7):1375-1387. doi:10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181cabbd8
- Tardy AL, Pouteau E, Marquez D, Yilmaz C, Scholey A. Vitamins and Minerals for Energy, Fatigue and Cognition: A Narrative Review of the Biochemical and Clinical Evidence. Nutrients. 2020;12(1):228. Published 2020 Jan 16. doi:10.3390/nu12010228
- Orlando, L., Trangmar, S., Marins, D. D. M., Menezes, E., & Gisienne da Silva, R. (2014). Improved exercise capacity in the heat followed by coconut water consumption. Motriz: Revista de Educação Física, 20(1), 107-111. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1980-65742014000100016
- Tardiolo G, Bramanti P, Mazzon E. Overview on the Effects of N-Acetylcysteine in Neurodegenerative Diseases. Molecules. 2018;23(12):3305. Published 2018 Dec 13. doi:10.3390/molecules23123305
- Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Military Nutrition Research; Marriott BM, editor. Food Components to Enhance Performance: An Evaluation of Potential Performance-Enhancing Food Components for Operational Rations. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 1994. 15, Tyrosine and Stress: Human and Animal Studies.
- Moon JR, Vogel RM, Falcone PH, et al. A comparison of citrulline and arginine for increasing exercise-induced vasodilation and blood flow. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015;12(Suppl 1):P6. Published 2015 Sep 21. doi:10.1186/1550-2783-12-S1-P6