REVIEW: National Bodybuilding Co. Pro Contest BCAA.
You may be considering adding a BCAA to your routine to optimize your endurance and relieve muscle soreness. Or perhaps you are already using a BCAA and wonder if there are better quality products out there.
There has been some contention as to the effectiveness of BCAAs in the first place. Our opinion is that BCAAs can be a great aid in your journey to your optimum fitness and peak physical performance. However, you need to make sure that you are consuming a quality product.
National Bodybuilding Co. is a trusted brand that do their due diligence when researching their ingredients and dosages and providing quality products. All of their products are free from harmful the common harmful ingredients found in supplements like additives and fillers, which massively reduces any side effects. Here is our review into their Pro Content BCAA.
National Bodybuilding Co. has engineered a BCAA supplement containing 4,000mg of progressive BCAAs, vitamin B6 and L-Glutamine. They claim that this product will give you more energy, allow you to work out harder and for longer while aiding your recovery and reducing muscle soreness. But does it do all it says it does?
- Advanced formula with BCAA ratio of 2:1:1 for protecting muscles and enabling you to recover faster
- 45 servings per tub
- Available in Fruit Punchflavor
- Good mixability, with a natural taste
Top athletes and bodybuilders have used BCAAs for years to maximize their potential. However, what sets National Bodybuilding Co. BCAA apart from other products on the market?
National Bodybuilding Co. Pro Contest BCAA has been designed to ensure that you can get the most out of your workouts.
The manufacturers claim that it will allow you to work out for longer without becoming fatigued. It will also reduce the inflammation of your muscles so that they hurt less and recover faster. Furthermore, it can help you to maintain muscle even while cutting.
Here are some of the other benefits you should expect to experience:
1. Maximized Exercise Performance
National Bodybuilding Co. Pro Contest contains BCAAs and vitamin B6 to boost your energy levels and fight fatigue while you workout, and then throughout the day. This will allow you to push your body to new limits and grow muscle faster.
BCAAs have been shown to aid with APT production in your mitochondria, producing energy in the heart of your cells, and therefore increasing your endurance.  This works in combination with vitamin B6 to boost your energy levels.
Vitamin B6 has a similar effect but has the added benefit of helping your body turn food into energy.
2. Extended Endurance
The main thing people want to experience when trying BCAAs is less fatigue and the ability to train for more extended periods.
In one study, those you were given BCAAs showed considerably less fatigue than those given a placebo.  And in another study, the group who were assigned BCAA over a placebo trained for 17% longer. 
3. Increased Muscle Growth
BCAA or branched-chain amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Helping you to maintain muscle, even when cutting. 
According to research, BCAAs activate vital enzymes, stimulating the body’s process of muscle-building. 
4. Reduced Muscle Tissue Breakdown and Soreness
BCAAs give your muscles the amino acids they need to grow muscle while lowering enzymes that cause damage.  Amino acids become depleted when you work out, so replenishing them is essential to maintain and grow muscle.
Studies have shown that taking BCAA helps reduce muscle soreness. 
National Bodybuilding Co. Pro Contest BCAA also contains Glutamine, which helps your body to recover faster. Glutamine levels are reduced when you work out, leading to limited muscle gain and even a compromised immune system. You can find out more here.
Each 6.5g serving contains:
- 5mg of Vitamin B6
- 4g of BCAAs
- 1g of L-Glutamine
Unlike other BCAA products on the market, the ingredient list is transparent, so you know exactly what you’re getting.
Like all National Bodybuilding O. products, their Pro Contest BCAA is well researched and contains optimized dosages and ratios of each ingredient. It contains 2:1:1 (L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine. Unlike some of their competitors, which have an unbalanced ratio of the three crucial Branched-Chain Amino Acids – up to 10:1:1.
It also has the added benefits of clinically dosed vitamin B6 and Glutamine, further fighting muscle soreness and fatigue.
Flavors, Mixability, and How to Take it
Unfortunately, Pro Contest BCAA is only available in one flavor, “Fruit Punch.” However, it does not taste too strong or artificial.
National Bodybuilding Co. BCAA should be consumed before and after working out or with your meals. The recommended dosage is half a scoop (6.5g) two to three times a day.
It also mixes well with water. It will take up to two minutes to dissolve using a spoon, or it will dissolve almost instantly if you make use of a shaker bottle.
Price & Where to Buy?
At $38 a tub and 45 servings, National Bodybuilding Co. Pro Contest BCAA is good value. Many similarly priced products on the market only contain 30 servings.
There are good customer service and fast shipping. However, currently, it is only available on the manufacturer’s website and only in the USA and Canada.
Head over to the National Bodybuilding Co. website to purchase this product:
When you incorporate National Bodybuilding Co. Pro Content BCAA, not your routine, you should expect to experience it.
- Reduction of fatigue
- Faster growing muscles
- The ability to workout longer and harder
- Lower levels of muscle soreness
It seems that National Bodybuilding Co. BCAA has been well researched and engineered to optimize your performance. Workout harder, for longer, without getting fatigued as quickly. It might be just what you need to take your performance to the next level.
- Blomstrand E, Eliasson J, Karlsson HK, Köhnke R. Branched-chain amino acids activate key enzymes in protein synthesis after physical exercise. J Nutr. 2006;136(1 Suppl):269S-73S. doi:10.1093/jn/136.1.269S
- Mero A. Leucine supplementation and intensive training. Sports Med. 1999;27(6):347-358. doi:10.2165/00007256-199927060-00001
- Leahy DT, Pintauro SJ. Branched-chain amino Acid plus glucose supplement reduces exercise-induced delayed onset muscle soreness in college-age females. ISRN Nutr. 2013;2013:921972. Published 2013 Mar 17. doi:10.5402/2013/921972
- Coombes JS, McNaughton LR. Effects of branched-chain amino acid supplementation on serum creatine kinase and lactate dehydrogenase after prolonged exercise. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2000;40(3):240-246.
- Mittleman KD, Ricci MR, Bailey SP. Branched-chain amino acids prolong exercise during heat stress in men and women. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1998;30(1):83-91. doi:10.1097/00005768-199801000-00012
- Blomstrand E, Hassmén P, Ek S, Ekblom B, Newsholme EA. Influence of ingesting a solution of branched-chain amino acids on perceived exertion during exercise. Acta Physiol Scand. 1997;159(1):41-49. doi:10.1046/j.1365-201X.1997.547327000.x
- Gualano AB, Bozza T, Lopes De Campos P, et al. Branched-chain amino acids supplementation enhances exercise capacity and lipid oxidation during endurance exercise after muscle glycogen depletion. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2011;51(1):82-88.