Best BCAA For Male Bodybuilders.
Want an easy way to drastically increase muscle growth whilst slowing down muscle wastage? You should definitely consider adding BCAA supplements to your arsenal.
For years now, the spotlight has been taken by other staples in the bodybuilding supplement range. Most of us understand the benefits of creatine and nitric oxide boosters, and we all know how crucial whey protein can be, but BCAA’s are less well known.
BCAA’s or branch-chain amino acids are naturally found in the body. They are the building blocks of muscle protein synthesis.
Branch-chain amino acids are made up of three separate compounds, leucine, isoleucine, and valine. All of them are important in the development of lean muscle mass, and they all have an essential role in your body’s recovery rates after hardcore workouts.
Certain people have small genetic deficiencies when it comes to their natural levels of BCAAs. Others might struggle to get enough protein in their diet; for these people, the benefits of BCAAs could help them to finally overcome plateaus in the gym and realize their potential.
BCAA’s work differently to normal protein drinks; they are absorbed a lot quicker and will make their way straight to the areas that need them. They are fast-acting and give immediate benefits to both men and women.
Benefits of BCAA Supplementation
The key benefits of BCAAs are their ability to boost:
- Pure strength and endurance
- Lean muscle growth and muscle recovery
- Aid fat loss and body composition
- Protection against catabolic muscle loss
- Insulin-activated amino uptake
- Immune defenses against pathogens
- Muscle protein synthesis
Our Favourite BCAA Supplements
Branch-chain amino acids – BCAAs come in a range of different shapes, sizes, and qualities. This makes it pretty difficult to narrow down which products are effective and which aren’t.
Luckily, we have tested most of them, and we have no problem suggesting National Bodybuilding. Co. Pro Contest as our favorite BCAA powder.
Why National Bodybuilding. Co. Pro Contest is The Best BCAA Supplement?
The best BCAA supplements will contain the correct amount of all three crucial BCAA’s, Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine.
National Bodybuilding. Co. Pro Contest comes packed with a healthy amount of all three at the correct ratio of 2:1:1.
There are no hidden unwanted ingredients here, and they don’t hide behind a proprietary blend label. What you see is what you get. This means that you can take this BCAA suplement with full confidence.
National Bodybuiling Co. Pro Content BCAA supplement is made from naturally sourced ingredients and their supplements are manufactured in cGMP and FDA approved facilities. There is also nothing artificial: no artificial flavors and no artificial sweeteners. As a result, you should not experience any adverse side effects.
They have chosen the ingredients and dosages for their BCAA formula on science-backed claims. When used properly, you should see an increase in muscle size and improvement in performance.
Let’s look at the ingredient list:
BCAAs 4 grams per serving (2:1:1 Ratio)
The first thing we will look for in the best BCAA supplements, and obviously the most important set of ingredients, is the BCAAs themselves. The three that are important to athletes are leucine, isoleucine, and valine.
National Bodybuilding. Co. BCAA powder comes with a nice serving of 4g of each.
By taking branched-chain amino acids, your muscles will be boosted in terms of both endurance and strength, helping you to build muscle faster. This is obviously a massive plus for those that workout every day. (1)
Vitamin B6 (2.5mg)
The next interesting ingredient we have is vitamin B6. B6 vitamins are well documented to aid in the production of oxygenated red blood cells. This increase makes it easier to send oxygen to the muscles that need it most. You also get a synergetic effect on nitric oxide. This allows for more vasodilation and further enhances blood flow and nutrient dispersion.
B6 is one of the most common deficiencies, especially amongst bodybuilders, so a good serving of B6 is always appreciated. (2)
L-Glutamine is another ingredient that has been making the rounds for the last few years. This is one of the essential amino acids that your body makes itself.
Heavy exercise depletes your body’s levels of certain essential amino acids, including L-Glutamine, which can lead to drops in performance, energy, and longer recovery times. All of these things ultimately make it more difficult to build muscle.
How and When to Take The Best BCAA Supplements
The best possible method of taking branched-chain amino acids is to consume them before your workout. 30 minutes before seems to be the sweet spot for absorption in time for your workout.
To take it you simply dissolve the powder in the suggested amount of water and drink them like you would a protein shake.
Potential Benefits To Consuming the Best BCAA Supplements
There is a range of benefits of taking branched-chain amino acids that we have already talked about, here are the most important ones:
Increase of Protein Synthesis and Muscle Mass
The main and most important reason for anyone to take BCAAS is due to their ability to massively improve lean muscle mass building potential.
Leucine stimulates muscle building and synthesis. By consuming Leucine, you will maximize your potential muscle growth and speed up fat loss without losing muscle. (5)
In this particular study, researchers noted that out of the control group, those who drank a BCAA supplement drink immediately after their workout saw a 22% increase in protein synthesis. (6).
Reduce DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness)
If you are someone who struggles with DOMS in the days following a workout, BCAA supplementation could be the cure.
Delayed onset muscle soreness tends to develop between 12-24 hours following a strenuous workout. This is caused by micro-tissue tears that happen when you lift weights.
If taking BCAAS can reduce muscle soreness in the days following a workout, they will enable you to work out harder and more consistently.
Prevent Muscle Breakdown
Taking a good BCAA can prevent the tissue in your muscles from wasting away during breakdown. Muscle breakdown and muscle protein synthesis are a continuous process that determines the amount of protein in muscle. (11)
If the rate that your muscles breakdown protein raises to a level that is higher than the speed you are synthesizing lean mass, you will see a drop in muscle mass. Utilizing BCAA’s correctly is an easy way to ensure this doesn’t happen. (12)
The Best BCAA Supplements
With a range of well-dosed ingredients, there is no question that the National Bodybuilding Pro Contest BCAA is one of the best BCAA’s on the market. Designed to reduce muscle soreness, increase lean mass, and raise protein synthesis levels, you will see the benefits almost immediately.
National Bodybuilding Pro Contest BCAA is a great addition to any athlete’s supplement stack and will help take your performance to the next level.
- AbuMoh’d MF, Matalqah L, Al-Abdulla Z. Effects of Oral Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) Intake on Muscular and Central Fatigue During an Incremental Exercise. J Hum Kinet. 2020 Mar 31;72:69-78. doi: 10.2478/hukin-2019-0099. PMID: 32269649; PMCID: PMC7126259.
- Bender DA. Vitamin B6 requirements and recommendations. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1989 May;43(5):289-309. PMID: 2661220.
- Coqueiro AY, Rogero MM, Tirapegui J. Glutamine as an Anti-Fatigue Amino Acid in Sports Nutrition. Nutrients. 2019 Apr 17;11(4):863. doi: 10.3390/nu11040863. PMID: 30999561; PMCID: PMC6520936.
- Legault Z, Bagnall N, Kimmerly DS. The Influence of Oral L-Glutamine Supplementation on Muscle Strength Recovery and Soreness Following Unilateral Knee Extension Eccentric Exercise. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2015 Oct;25(5):417-26. doi: 10.1123/ijsnem.2014-0209. Epub 2015 Mar 26. PMID: 25811544.
- Norton LE, Layman DK. Leucine regulates translation initiation of protein synthesis in skeletal muscle after exercise. J Nutr. 2006 Feb;136(2):533S-537S. doi: 10.1093/jn/136.2.533S. PMID: 16424142.
- Jackman SR, Witard OC, Philp A, Wallis GA, Baar K, Tipton KD. Branched-Chain Amino Acid Ingestion Stimulates Muscle Myofibrillar Protein Synthesis following Resistance Exercise in Humans. Front Physiol. 2017 Jun 7;8:390. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2017.00390. PMID: 28638350; PMCID: PMC5461297.
- Howatson G, Hoad M, Goodall S, Tallent J, Bell PG, French DN. Exercise-induced muscle damage is reduced in resistance-trained males by branched chain amino acids: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2012 Jul 12;9:20. doi: 10.1186/1550-2783-9-20. PMID: 22569039; PMCID: PMC3395580.
- Coombes JS, McNaughton LR. Effects of branched-chain amino acid supplementation on serum creatine kinase and lactate dehydrogenase after prolonged exercise. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2000 Sep;40(3):240-6. PMID: 11125767.
- Shimomura Y, Murakami T, Nakai N, Nagasaki M, Harris RA. Exercise promotes BCAA catabolism: effects of BCAA supplementation on skeletal muscle during exercise. J Nutr. 2004 Jun;134(6 Suppl):1583S-1587S. doi: 10.1093/jn/134.6.1583S. PMID: 15173434.
- Meeusen R, Watson P, Hasegawa H, Roelands B, Piacentini MF. Central fatigue: the serotonin hypothesis and beyond. Sports Med. 2006;36(10):881-909. doi: 10.2165/00007256-200636100-00006. PMID: 17004850.
- Tipton KD, Hamilton DL, Gallagher IJ. Assessing the Role of Muscle Protein Breakdown in Response to Nutrition and Exercise in Humans. Sports Med. 2018 Mar;48(Suppl 1):53-64. doi: 10.1007/s40279-017-0845-5. PMID: 29368185; PMCID: PMC5790854.
- Eley HL, Russell ST, Tisdale MJ. Effect of branched-chain amino acids on muscle atrophy in cancer cachexia. Biochem J. 2007 Oct 1;407(1):113-20. doi: 10.1042/BJ20070651. PMID: 17623010; PMCID: PMC2267397.